Over alles wat met Dragracen te maken heeft
lachgasvullen.nl
DHRA Technical Inspection
DHRA Technical Inspection
Contacteer:

Hangover Nationals Ohio's Dragway 42 blizzard condition's

Bericht door lachgasvullen.nl »

Posted by Brian Lohnes

(Photos and captions by Dawn Mazi-Hovsepian) – The 15th running of the vaunted Hangover Nationals at Ohio’s recently reinvigorated Dragway 42 was a smash hit with 150 cars and trucks showing up in near blizzard conditions to take their shot at the 20.14 second dial in competition. Track prep was literally completed by pickup trucks with snowplows and a driver actually ran dead-nuts on the dial in. That same guy, Doug Richards won the entire event, proving that he probably had the longest attention span and most patience of the bunch. Can you still brag when you win a drag race with a 20.14 second index? Hell yes you can. You can practically text it to your friends when you slowly roll through the timing traps and see the win light.

Dawn Mazi-Hovsepian who is a bad ass drag racing photographer, maker of equally bad ass videos ( http://www.youtube.com/user/DragStripRiot66 ) and the brains behind Drag Strip Girl Designs ( http://www.dragstripgirldesigns.com/ ) was on hand to cover the event for BangShift. If you think that she is of questionable decision making skills, you’d be right. We know the guy she picked for a husband and frankly the jury is still out. Dawn braved the elements and near constant threat of an amazingly slow speed crash on the track to bring us these photos and the true inside scoop of what’s going on with the track.

Here’s Dawn’s account of the day and the FULL story about what’s going to happen to Dragway 42 in the capable hands of the drag racing Matcham family -

Since the news broke here about the purchase of Dragway 42 by Ohio Stock and Super Stock racer and businessman Ron Matcham, drag racers all around Northeast Ohio have been buzzing on social media outlets and drag racing message boards about the pending (and desperately needed) changes to come at the historic facility. One thing that did not change was the annual Hangover Nationals the track has hosted on New Year’s Day since 2000. Since I was going to be in Ohio visiting family over holidays, I thought it the perfect excuse to attend the event and see first-hand what has already been done and what’s on deck for 2014 and beyond under the new ownership.

After a slow and snowy ride south from Mentor to West Salem, I was greeted with a warm welcome at the gate by Ron’s wife, MaryAnn. I then made the slow drive toward the staging lanes surveying the changes that have already taken place. As noted in the photos shown, extensive excavation and clearing of land has been going on since early December. All trailers have been removed from the property, as well as signage around the track. Dragway 42 General Manager, Joe Gambino, met me at the head of staging and generously took the time to answer questions about what everyone should look forward to in the coming year, as well long range plans. “First and foremost, everyone should know that everything Ron does is top-notch. Following the purchase of the track, Ron stated that everything on the property would need to go or be leveled. He has a distinct vision and long-range plan. We’re already in the process of laying new drain tile on each side of the track, the track will be all-concrete, and the exisiting armco guardrails will be replaced with new retaining walls.

The armco guardrail at the last turnout will be removed and replaced with a 200′ sandtrap. The architects are already mapping out property lines on the south and west sides, as the burnout area and starting line will be moved back approximately 250′ or as far back as we can go, and the staging lanes will be rerouted so that racers will be able to make the turn and drive directly into the waterbox; no more backing into it. The west side of the property will be expanded approximately 200′ outward to accomodate larger rigs. We have already taken delivery of new track equipment consisting of a zamboni and jet dryer”, said Gambino. During the course of the conversation, the staging lanes had swelled to over 150 entries. Some came from as far as Pittsburgh, Columbus and Cincinnati, and that was impressive given the winter weather advisory. We headed up to the tower to take some of the chill off. I asked Joe what the plans were for the schedule. Gambino stated, “I don’t have a schedule made up yet, and we are not going to go overboard in our first year. At this time I do know we will keep the Rock and Race nostalgia event, the Halloween event, and, obviously, the Hangover Nationals. Sundays will be dedicated to the Summit Super Series events.” Gambino added, “We will remain an IHRA sanctioned track as we have signed a three-year contract.”

As we wrapped up the conversation, Ron Matcham had made his way up to the tower as eliminations were about to get underway. Matcham had just walked the staging lanes, stopping to thank everyone personally for coming out to the track on a holiday. Joe Gambino introduced us, and from the first handshake and hug, it was evident Matacham was genuinely grateful for each and every person that came through the gate that day. When I asked Ron what his realistic goals were for opening day, tentatively slated for late April or early May, the soft-spoken Matcham stated, “The new track surface will be ready, a new concession stand and restroom facilities will be built. I want a guy to be able to bring his wife or girlfriend out here, enjoy themselves and come back. There is no way we could work with what is here; those first-timers would never return.” Matcham excused himself as the national anthem was about to kick-off the 2014 season. At the end of the anthem, track announcer Skeet Peaco asked Matcham if he wanted to say a few words. Matcham reiterated his appreciation to all in attendance, for exceeding his expectations on his first day as a track owner, and to the staff, Matcham, and Gambino families for their hard work getting ready for the event. Matcham quickly ended his speech, as it was evident he was overcome with emotion as he spoke.

He walked back over and apologized saying, “I’m not much of a talker, and I’m an emotional guy. I look out over through the lanes and see all these people here, on a day like this, snowing and a holiday, and I am thrilled we pulled this off. I didn’t know what to expect when I drove into the track today. If we can do this on a day like today, it makes me excited to think of the possibilities. I want to see this placed filled with spectators again. I want the racers to have a safe track to run on. My vision for this track is more of a two-to-three year plan. I like to remodel things. I want to eventually build a new cross-over bridge, with a tower and suites. When people tell me I “can’t”, that’s not in my vocabulary. It’s going to take a lot of work to bring this track around to my vision. It will be a constant work in progress even between events throughout the season.” Matcham concluded, “And it’s going to take a lot of paint.”

For track information, visit the track website at: DRAGWAY42.COM

To stay on top of Dragway 42 updates via social media, join the Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/dragway42/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE TRACK IMPROVEMENTS AND THE RACING ACTION FROM THE 2014 HANGOVER NATIONALS AT DRAGWAY 42!

Afbeelding
Major timbering and excavation going on since getting the keys to the track in early December. Brush pile at the top of the pit area.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
West side of track near the rear of staging. More timbering to make way for approximately 200′ expansion outward of pit and staging lane area.

Afbeelding
Ron Matcham isolating an electrical issue with tree, while IHRA VP Scooter Peaco radios to the gate to start directing cars to the head of staging. Ron made the short drive from home in his Kubota to the track.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
10:45A.M. Staging lanes begin to fill with participants.

Afbeelding
Facing the water box area shows extensive excavation already in process. Plans are to add an additonal 250′ to the track, moving the starting line an burnout area back.

Afbeelding
New drainage tile will be added to both sides of the track to alleviate past water issues on the track surface. The track will be all concrete, armco guardrails will be replaced with retaining walls.

Afbeelding
Track prep of the day consisted of snow plows.

Afbeelding
Head of staging area. More timbering and excavation planned to reroute the stagings and enable racers to pull around and straight into the burnout area. No more backing up into the area!

Afbeelding
Just after 11:30 and staging lanes are filling during open time trials.

Afbeelding
4X4s were plentiful.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Say goodbye. Along with the excavation and timbering, demolition of all pit side buildings are planned in the coming weeks.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Over 150 entrants competed on a 20.14 dial-in. Eventual winner Doug Richards took home the cash and the glory from the 2014 Hangover Nationals at Dragway 42!

Plaats reactie